Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

I had a scare

The day of the follow-up, I had a bit of light cramping. I figured it was just my sensitive cervix acting up after some more aggravation. I think it's tired of being messed with! Well, I woke up the following morning, 3:00am to be exact, to use the restroom and wiped what appeared to be some purple-red blood. I tried not to worry because I knew I had just had surgery the previous week and my cervix was agitated and that pesky hematoma was probably still in there causing issues.

Well, the bleeding continued all day. It was pink and mucus-like, which made me feel better because it wasn't bright red and it wasn't just blood. I basically had a light period all day with occasional light cramping. I decided that if it continued the next day I would call the doctor because this really was just like what happened the last time when they found my cervix was effacing. I was also afraid that maybe I was leaking amniotic fluid, even though it wasn't really watery, because it was just so mucus-like and thin.

We decided to just go to urgent care when they opened since they are literally a minute from our house. We thought we could get some answers there quicker than trying to get in to see the doctor who did my cerclage and have to drive to Loveland. Well, after 30 minutes in the urgent care, 10 of those in the exam room, they came in and said they didn't do any gynecological work there. What? I was not aware of that. So, they called the Women's Clinic and I got an appointment in to see the doctor an hour later, just two days after the follow-up. He didn't want to do a pelvic exam because that wouldn't tell him much, so we got in for an ultrasound. Healthy heartbeat and measurements. They measured my cervix and we got to see the little one on screen again and got some great pictures to take home.

We were told my cervix was now measuring 5.4, which is up from 4.5. Great news. He said the UA didn't show any infection, which I made a point to ask because I had been needing to go to the bathroom quite a bit lately and thought that might be the cause of my bleeding. He said even if there was to not worry about that because he didn't want me to use anything that I would need to administer near my cervix. He said the u/s looked great and unless the bleeding or cramping got worse, to just see him again in a couple weeks. I kind of got the feeling he thought I was the overly worrisome patient, but I don't care. It eased my fears for the time being and I was very relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment