Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I hate needles

On June 10th I went to give blood for the thrombophilia work-up the perinatologist ordered. They said it would be about a week before results were back. Knowing that it's always longer than they say, I decided to give them two weeks to call before I called them. Two weeks came and went and I called them yesterday. The nurse said she had results for four tests. I couldn't believe they only did four tests. I understand that they're probably testing for the more common clotting disorders and it's not as intensive as it would be for someone with more losses or more signs of thrombophilia, but seriously?! FOUR?!?!

She told me what the results were as it was in my file, though the doctor hadn't made any annotations yet. Factor V Leiden was normal and Protein S and C were within the normal range though one of them was on the lower side (an 86 out of the 80-150 range it should be in). There was another test she didn't understand how to read so was going have the doctor call me back. I was at least happy to hear that those tests came back normal. I had lurked a bit on one of the BBC boards for women with thrombophila disorders and those were disorders that commonly required daily injections of blood thinners. No fun.

I got a call this morning from the office that said someone (lab personnel maybe) didn't see all the tests that needed to be run because two of them were in small print (lame excuse if you ask me), so I needed to come back in to give more blood. This is why the doctor hadn't called me back. She had been waiting for the results of those last two tests before calling me. I'm happy that there were indeed more than four tests to check for but annoyed that because someone didn't pay attention, I have to take off time from work to go back in and then wait at least another week before I find out the results.

I can still see the mark from where the last needle went in. I'm so sick of being stuck by needles. In the last 4 months I've had so many blood draws I can't even remember, not to mention IV's. Of course, when I'm pregnant again it'll only be more poking and prodding. Oh joy. I have a feeling that all the tests will be normal. It’s probably been due to infections like the perinatologist suggested which would be something easy to monitor and treat. I just desperately want an answer as to why my body is playing the role of evil slumlord and evicting my babies. My facilities are not up to code. What needs to be fixed? At least we're ruling things out.

3 comments:

  1. I too felt like my body evicted Bailey. I hope these next 2 tests give you some of the answers you have been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too! If anything, we can rule some things out and focus on other possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shanna,

    I'm new to your blog - and I'm so sorry you lost both your little boys.

    I remember after my second miscarriage calling the doctors office for lab results. They were supposed to call me. But after a couple weeks, like you, I just called them myself. I got put on hold for 20 minutes, passed around to a couple of different people, and when someone finally talked to me about it the only thing she had to say was.... Well according to your blood work you are not pregnant.

    WTF?????

    Anyways, I know exactly what you mean about getting stuck dozens of times and waiting for doctors offices to get their acts together.

    I really hope you find some answers soon. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete