Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A little irked

I don't understand the logic of my doctor. Why did I have to give blood three times to monitor my hCG levels in order to determine when I could go in for an ultrasound? I was under the impression it was because my doctor wanted me to go in for an early u/s. Why was I under that impression? Maybe because that's what one of the nurses told me.

Well, I got a call today from my doctor's nurse (my numbers are great by the way) and I'm not scheduled for the first ultrasound until March 22nd, which is also the same day of my first prenatal appointment. Right after, actually. Luckily, the imaging center is just a few minutes from my doctor's office so we can go straight there. I'm just upset because that is still a week and a half away and I'll be 8 weeks and 3 days that Monday, though they think I'm 5 days further along than I am, so "9" weeks, and I'll just be getting an ultrasound. Last time we got the u/s when I was 6 weeks and a few days, though they thought I was in the middle of 8 weeks.

Still, even if they think I'm 9 weeks, that is so far from an early u/s. 6 weeks is early, 9 weeks is not. I also don't understand why they monitored my levels at all. Why didn't they just schedule the u/s for 8-9 weeks in the first place. Even if they were a week or two off, I still would have been 6-7 weeks and you can see a baby and heartbeat on the screen by early to mid 6 weeks. The ultrasound isn't only about checking on the baby, it's about checking cervical length too, which I thought they wanted to monitor closely.

Don't get me wrong, I love my doctor and all, but I thought she was supposed to be more proactive this time! I have no clue as to what is going on right now. Has she contacted the high risk doctor who told me that he wants to know as soon as I'm pregnant? I'm sure I will have to have an appointment with him before I can schedule a time for my cerclage. Last time she was able to call and tell the office it was an emergency and got me in right away. She said normally it can take a month or two to get an appointment. So, unless she calls them again and gets me in, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'll have a month from the time of my first u/s and prenatal appointment to when he wanted to do the cerclage. I'm frustrated because I don't feel in the loop at all, though it's not like most doctors probably just call to talk to patients and let them know every little thing. I'm sure I'll find out a lot on my appointment on the 22nd but it seems so far away. It's not like my cervix is going to start effacing before then and there is always the chance that I could have one of those normal first trimester miscarriages, which they could do nothing about. I just want to see my little baby and it's flickering heart and know that everything is fine. I want to know what plans are for me for April and my cerclage.

This is stressing me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment