Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Baby Showers and Angelversaries

This past Saturday, November 19th, was Holden's 2 year angelversary and Maya's baby shower. I was a little nervous about what my reaction would be on that day and how I would handle it. At first when I woke up that morning, it didn't seem like it would be too difficult. I laid in bed browsing the internet on my phone, but soon became a sobbing mess. Andrew's birthday is a few days before on the 15th and I had hung a happy birthday banner in the bedroom that day. I had been too lazy to take it back down and as I was laying in bed, I saw it. I thought to myself how fitting that I didn't take it down because it could be used for Holden's birthday too. That set off the tears. All I could think was how unfair it was that 2 years ago, my little boy died. My Holden.

After crying on and off for a couple hours that morning and laying around, we got ready to go to the shower. It was hard trying to put on my happy face when I was so sad. All I wanted to do was stay at home and just feel my grief. I still can't believe that it hit so hard after 2 years. I was so excited that we were getting a shower for Maya, but it was hard to be happy on THAT day. Then, of course, all I could think was what a horrible memory this would be to relive if she dies. It's so conflicting wanting to be happy for this pregnancy, being fearful of something terrible happening, and feeling depressed that I never got these experiences with my little boys. I miss them and wish they could be here but I know that no world exists where they could all be my living children.

It ended up being a small shower, about 17 people, mostly family, which was a good thing. Neither Andrew or I like being the center of attention, and since it was an emotionally challenging day, it was nice that it was small. We got several nice little gifts and I ended up having a fun time. I ate way too much cake and suffered for it later.

I am so thankful that we've made it to 33 weeks and were able to have a family gathering to celebrate our little girl, something we never got with Holden and Parker. I just hope we have a little girl to bring home, to dress in all these cute outfits and wrap up in our arms. I'm so ready for her to be here.

2 comments:

  1. Celebrating 33 weeks with you and remembering Holden and Parker always. I can imagine how difficult your shower day must have been. What a mix of emotions. I am glad that you had a nice time and that you were surrounded by family. I am hoping and praying for you and sweet Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such a difficult time at my shower too - It's so hard when you are feeling sad and happy at the same time.

    I think about you so often, and I am glad to see that you and baby Maya are doing well. 33 weeks! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete