Is it being mean to your employee? I'm having one of those mornings at work. I have been really stressed out lately and my supervisor is really just adding to it. Two weeks ago from yesterday, she needed me to screen some viruses to be shipped. Normally, I could get these done in a week, but due to other circumstances requiring my time, I was unable to get them done quickly.
The biggest reason is that I have a work study student I've been training. Her first week was last week and she was here for about 6-7 hours over 3 different days. That in itself takes time, but I had to prepare for her too. That makes sense, doesn't it? Prepare for training a student? A sophomore who has yet to have a microbiology course. Who has no idea what any of the procedures we do are and has never held a pipette before. Is there a limit on the amount of time I'm supposed to take to prepare for her? I've never trained anyone before so this is new to me. It’s been a little overwhelming. I remember when I started as a student and had no idea what the heck I was doing. So, I decided to be detailed and to plan for the time she would be here. Seriously, I don't even make a plan for myself for the week until Monday, so adding training on top of that...yeah.
Anyway, that has taken a lot of my time during the last two weeks. Plus, this was a short week and I was sick on Tuesday. My supervisor didn't say anything until yesterday when she asked if I was done screening them. I told her no, but they would be done by Friday. Then today she sends another email asking which procedures I've performed on them and saying it's been 2 weeks since she emailed. It shouldn't take 2 weeks to screen "3" viruses (it's 4, actually) and that this needs to be a priority. Then, she so nicely added, "Honestly, this should be done within 1 week." Was that necessary?
Am I overreacting? I realize as my supervisor she can determine when things need to be done. She gives me a task and I do it. That's how the chain of command works. I get it. But, to me, if after a week I wasn't done and she had a problem with that, then shouldn't she have said something? She asked me about it last Thursday and I told her that I would be finishing up this week and she didn't say a word. That was her opportunity to say "Hey, it's been a week and I really need to ship these so do you think you can get them done by (insert day)?" instead of waiting for another week and then sending me an email saying she thinks they should be done.
She gives me things to do and never gives me a deadline or an estimate of when she needs them. It's not until she's annoyed that they're not done that she tells me, always by email might I add, and that just stresses me out more. And she always puts in a little something extra that comes off as rude. She's not a good supervisor. Her position doesn’t allow her to supervise people, technically, but I was hired to assist her so I guess that makes her the boss. I really need a new job.
UGH I REALLY don't like supervisors like this..maybe it's because I don't like "authority" being authoritative lol if that makes sense but there's always a nice way to come about things. I absolutely hate when people wait for you to "mess up" just so they have an opportunity to show their "power" or whatever you want to call it. I have a co-worker who is in NO position higher than me or my other co-workers but he loves to "boss us around" like he is...maybe they're on a power trip? or maybe they're genuinely upset about what happened but I do think she should have said something earlier if it truly bothered her like that. I'm sorry you have this added stress to your life. I hope you find a new job with much nicer bosses! :)
ReplyDeleteI totally get what you're saying. Being a boss doesn't mean being bossy! There is always a nice way to tell an employee that something needs to be done or they're not performing satisfactorily and it's going to get them farther than being rude and condescending. I definitely think it’s a power trip thing. Some people should just not be in charge. It goes to their heads!
ReplyDeleteI hate that kind of stuff! If a boss wants something done by a certain time - they should just say so up front.
ReplyDeleteI don't have much advice - but I deal with a couple of bosses who do the same thing. So I know how stressful that is.
I've just gotten into the habit of telling them straight out when they give me a task: "I can have this done by next Friday. Is that OK with you?"
I've learned the hard way not to ask when they want it done. If you ask them - they'll say tomorrow. Or something else that is really not realistic. So I pick a date that's even beyond when I think I can have it done (gives me some wiggle room) and let them know.
I don't know if your boss would be receptive to this - but I thought I'd throw it out there!
Hey Shanna -
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know I've nominated you for an award on my blog!
We have traveled similar paths - and I appreciate your kindness and support. Your honesty in your posts really touches me!